The term broach is used in the machine shop to represent a tool that looks very much like a hedstrom file with two exceptions.

Each has a positive rake on it's cutting edges but the machinist broach is almost always cylindrical instead of conical but the cutting edges very often are concentric rings instead of a helical spiral.

In fact the ones with helical spirals are called spiral broaches.

Very often special broaches are created that are other shapes than round, e.g. square, triangular etc.

Broaches are used to precisely shape a hole by drawing the broach thru and thru the initial hole using larger sizes if necessary to avoid breakage.

Rarely is it used circumferentially as are hedstrom files in dentistry.

You should note that what are called "broaches" in dentistry are called "rasps" by everyone else.